HIDDEN TREASURE IN A CORNERSTONE FROM 1931
The sisters’ choir is an integral part of the monastère de l’Hôtel-Dieu de Québec historic site. The Augustinian Sisters have prayed their daily offices there since the choir’s reconstruction in1931.
During restoration work to the monastery, craftsmen on site were careful to preserve the choir’s cornerstone that had to be removed in order to allow the construction of the new entrance hall.
Several small symbolic objects were discovered inside the stone: medals of Notre-Dame de Toutes-Grâces, Notre-Dame de la Protection and the Virgin Mary, as well as 1 and 2-cent postage stamps with the head of King George V on them.
The Augustinian Sisters’ records note that the cornerstone was blessed on September 14, 1931 during an inauguration ceremony. It is likely that the treasures were hidden on that historic occasion.
Click on the photos in the gallery to enlarge them.
For more information on the heritage value of the sisters’ choir (in French only)